Thursday, January 14, 2016

Three Responses to Conviction :: 1/13/15 School Chapel message


Three Responses to Conviction
John 16:7-11

Conviction: to be convinced of guilt; to be proved guilty; a guilty verdict
When we are confronted with the fact that we have done something wrong, our response is VITAL to our success.

I. Get Defensive
This is when you choose to shift the blame.
This is what Adam did in the Garden of Eden.
They began to shift the blame – to point to others as the “reason”.
Getting defensive is demonstrated in a number of ways:
1.       I didn’t know
2.       I couldn’t help it
3.       I got tricked
4.       I had no control over what happened.
5.       People around me make it hard for me to do right
6.       It’s not that bad
7.       I’m not the only one doing it; or Everybody is doing it.
8.       Why are you always picking on me?
9.       Nobody’s perfect.
10.   That’s ok for you, but that is not for me.
11.   You might think it’s wrong, but I don’t think it is.
12.   The Bible is only man’s opinion; it doesn’t count.
13.   You don’t understand how I am.

II. Get Angry
·         Acts 7:54  When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

A common reaction to conviction is to get angry at the message, or the messenger.
The Bible is filled of stories of people that got angry when confronted with the truth.
NOTE: Jesus wasn’t killed by harlots or drug dealers or bank robbers.
He was murdered by religious people that had wicked hearts and got angry when confronted about it.

Same is found in the book of Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. 33 When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

III. Get Right

When it comes to your sin:
·         2 Samuel 12:7  And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

When it comes to your soul:

·         Acts 2:37  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?