Sunday, January 3, 2016

Finish Strong Series Part 2


Part II
A Strong Focus
Hebrews 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

                A. Focus On Christ our Initiator – vs. 2 Looking unto Jesus the author…

                                1. He Initiated our Redemption – author of our faith
When He was on the cross, I was on His mind.
Before the foundation of the world, He had a plan of redemption for me.
How could I doubt His love and His commitment to me when I understand how far back He had me on His heart?
·         Ephesians 1:4  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

                                2. He Initiated our Relationship - the joy that was set before him
For me to allow others to interfere with my relationship would be unjustifiable.
He initiated a relationship with me, and He deserves for me to give Him my due attention and love in return.
·         1 John 4:19  We love him, because he first loved us.

                                3. He Initiated our Race – let us run the race that is set before us
·         I  Corinthians 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

                B. Focus On Christ our Inspiration – vs. 3 For consider him…

                                1. We are Inspired by His Shameful Suffering
Sometimes the solitude and shame of being a Christian in this wicked world is discouraging.
He despised the shame, but He finished strong!

                                2. We are Inspired by His Solitude of Sinners
·         Vs. 3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself…
If we always have to be in the majority, and be surrounded by supporters to finish strong, we won’t!

                                3. We are Inspired by His Striving against Sin
His fight against sin and wrong eventually cost him His life.
We have not yet resisted unto blood.
Our stand hasn’t cost us our life.
It cost Jesus his life.
Can that not inspire God’s people to finish strong?
Consider Christ!!

                C. Focus On Christ our Intercessor – vs. 2 …and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God
·         Romans 8:34  Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

1.       He prayed for Peter.
·         Luke 22:31, 32  And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:  But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

2.       He prayed for all of his disciples.
·         John 17:9  I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

3.       He prayed for all of us.
·         John 17:20  Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

4.       His ministry in Heaven today is praying for us.
·         Hebrews 7:25  Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
·         Romans 8:26  Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
·         Romans 8:27  And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

QUESTION: Do you think the resurrected Lord Jesus can get a prayer through?

How can we not finish strong with the Savior in Heaven, praying for us?