Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Purpose of Preaching Series Part 1 :: 1/7/16


The Purpose of Preaching Series

Titus 1:3  But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

Intro: Have you ever wondered why we have three church services a week?  Plus Sunday School?  Plus occasional revival meetings and conferences?

I’m sure the world think we simply do not understand the meaning of doing things in “moderation”!
I think it’s funny:
·         People sleep anywhere from 6 to 8 hours a night. Some more.  And then take naps if they can.
·         We eat at least 3 times a day.
·         Children 2-11 watch an average of 24 hours of TV a week, or 31/2 hours a day.
·         That number dips to 22 hours for teens, ages 12-17, then goes back up to 25 hours for 18-24s.
·         After that it rises steadily until people over 65 average 48 hours a week, or nearly seven hours a day.

But when it comes to the preaching of the Word of God, people all of a sudden want to practice “moderation”.
It is my belief that we need EVERY BIT OF THE PREACHING WE ARE GETTING, AND A LOT MORE!!!
·         Hebrews 10:25  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

ADDITIONAL TEXTS:
·         2 Timothy 4:17  Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear…
·         Acts 28:31  Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
·         2 Corinthians 10:14  For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ:
·         Acts 8:4  Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.


I. It Conveys the Desires of God

The primary purpose for preaching by and large is simply to communicate to man God’s will for their life.

NOTE our text: Titus 1:3  But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching..

Knowing what God expects of me is crucial to me living a life that is pleasing to him.

·         Isaiah 55:10  For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:  So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

KEY TRUTH: I want to know HIS desires, and please HIM so He can bless me and use me to reach others.

God very clearly lays out His expectations and desires for me in His word so I can DO THEM!

TURN TO EZEKIEL 43:1-12

·         NOTE - Ezekiel 43:10, 11  Thou son of man, shew the house to the house of Israel, that they may be ashamed of their iniquities: and let them measure the pattern. And if they be ashamed of all that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the laws thereof: and write it in their sight, that they may keep the whole form thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and do them.