Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Whale of a Prayer :: 4/24/16


Journey through Jonah - Part 2

A Whale of a Prayer

Last week we looked at chapter 1 and preached on The Disappointments of Disobedience. Because of Jonah’s refusal to obey the explicit directions of God, he faced:
·         The Disappointment of Unnecessary Trials – vs. 4
·         The Disappointment of Unconvincing Testimony – vs. 9
·         The Disappointment of Unconditional Truth – vs. 14
·         The Disappointment of Uncelebrated Triumphs – vs. 16
Intro:
1. Notice Jonah’s Dilemma
He was in about as bad a place as you can possibly get.
I’ve been in some pretty bad predicaments in my life, but this one takes the cake.

2. Notice Jonah’s Delay
·         Jonah 1:17 And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
·         Jonah 2:1 THEN Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish’s belly.
What took him so long to prayer?
I can imagine him down there for three days trying to figure out a way to extract himself from that situation.
I can just see him planning and plotting and scheming – trying to come up with a solution to his problem.
After he had finally exhausted every possible solution, Jonah thought to pray. Amazing isn’t it??
NOTE: A life of disobedience will completely destroy a prayer life. You cannot sin AND pray!!!

3. Notice Jonah’s Delight
Several times Jonah acknowledged that in spite of his disobedience, in spite of his hard-headed delay, in spite of where he was and what he had done, the Lord heard him!
I am so grateful for a God that has ears to hear our prayers.

I. The Reason for Jonah’s Prayer

Jonah’s desire to pray was not prompted by an overwhelming urge to sit at His feet.
Jonah’s decision to pray was not the result of a Prayer Conference or a message on prayer.
Jonah’s prayer was not one of intercession (praying for the needs of others).
Jonah’s prayer was quite simply a result of the fact that he had exhausted every other possibility.
Jonah’s prayer was the product of a living nightmare.
He is praying from the digestive system of a creature living in the ocean.
He is surrounded by partially digested fish and plankton, covered in digestive juices.
It is pitch black. This isn’t Pinocchio on a little raft with a candle and Jiminy Cricket.
He obviously had to have enough air to breath. Imagine breathing in gastric gas for three days and nights.

Look at how he described his predicament.
·         Vs. 2 “…I cried by reason of mine affliction; …out of the belly of hell cried I…”
·         Vs. 3 – …thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compass me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.”
·         Vs. 5 - The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about; the weed were wrapped about my head.”
·         Vs. 6 – I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever.

Jonah was thrust into a time of prayer because he had experienced the worst experience a person could experience.
He described it as hell and as jail.

II. The Resolve of Jonah’s Prayer – vs. “I will look again toward thy holy temple…”

Jonah said, “I am cast out of thy sight, YET I WILL LOOK AGAIN…”
Jonah felt he had been cast out of God’s sight.
First of all, that is an impossibility. PRAISE THE LORD!
David the Psalmist knew that when he wrote:

·         Psalm 139:7  Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
·         8  If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
·         9  If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
·         10  Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
·         11  If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
·         12  Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

Even though Jonah felt abandoned, he wasn’t.
But in a time of isolation and when he was feeling alone, he reflected on a place where he knew God was.
He knew that no matter how far away he got, or how abandoned he felt, there was a place where God met with his people!
Sometimes we have to experience that loneliness and that isolation in order to fully appreciate the pricelessness of His presence.

III. The Remembrance in Jonah’s Prayer

                A. He Remembered the Lord
Isn’t it funny what we have to go through sometimes before we will REMEMBER THE LORD?
Had he really forgotten the Lord? – probably not.
But he had without a doubt forgotten Who He really is!
He had no doubt forgotten what He could really do.
Why else would he have waited three days to pray?

                B. He Remembered the Lies
·         Jonah 2:8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.

OBSERVE – to watch, to treasure; to celebrate
LYING VANITIESit literally means a worthless, empty vapor; an optical illusion; a mirage
How many people today are placing all their confidence in a mirage?
They think they can do what they want to do, and it will work out for them.
They think they can ignore the clear commands of God, and never have a problem.
They think they can pursue their own agenda and forsake God’s, and He will sit by and let them enjoy it.
That is observing lying vanities!!

Jonah remembered the fantasy world he had been living in when he bought his ticket to Tarshish (1:3)
Jonah remembered the fantasy world he was in when he thought he could flee the presence of the Lord. (1:3, 10)
Jonah remembered that living a life of deceit and disobedience will not produce mercy from God.
·         Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
Jonah remembered the vows he had made to God that he had failed to keep. – 2:9 …I will pay that that I have vowed.

Conclusion: If you want to discover and experience God’s mercy in your life, you will need to acknowledge that you have sinned and cast yourself at the feet of Jesus. 

Jonah spoke the truth when he said – SALVATION IS OF THE LORD!! (2:9)