Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Exam Time! :: 7/10/16 AM


Exam Time!
2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.
Revelation 3:1, 2

Intro: In school, we used to cringe at the word “exam”.   

There’s three types of exams in the Bible…
                A. The Examination by God
·         Psalms 26:2  Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
David prayed in Psalm 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

                B. The Examination by Others
·         1 Corinthians 9:3  Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, (talking about his ministry as an apostle)

                C. The Examination of Self
·         1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

This week is our Summer Revival. This is Exam Time!

I. Examine Your Salvation
·         2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Are you sure you are saved?
The Scriptures are full of stories of people that thought they were saved, and they were not.
·         Revelation 3:1  And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Judas Iscariot walked with Jesus Christ every day for 3 ½ years and died and went to hell.
Nicodemus in John 3 was a man of the Pharisees, a ruler of the Jews – and he had never been born again.
The woman at the well was religious but was lost and on her way to hell.
Cornelius in Acts 10 was a devout man, feared God with his whole house and was lost.

Is it possible to have a name that thou livest and are dead? YES!
Is it possible to hold on to a false profession of salvation and die and go to Hell? YES!

Has there been a change?
Do you have the characteristics of your Heavenly Father?

II. Examine Your Spirituality
·         Rev. 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

     A. Be Observant – wake up, give strict attention to

     B. Be Objective – the things that are ready to die – YOU KNOW WHAT IS ABOUT TO DIE!
Stop making excuses! Stop blaming others!  Stop defending yourself! Look at the things that are ready to die, and do something!

     C. Be Obedient – I have not found thy works perfect before God

Delayed obedience is disobedience. Half obedience is disobedience. NOTICE VERSE 1 – I KNOW THY WORKS!!!