Monday, August 3, 2015

Why Bad Things Happen to Good People :: Sun. PM 8/2/15


Why Bad Things Happen To Good People
Job 1, 2

Introduction: We all know godly people – good people – that have had difficult times. Why? Let’s examine a good man that had every bad thing that can be imagined happen to him.

A. Job’s Person
Job was the greatest man in the:
  1. Empire – vs. 1
  2. East – vs. 3
  3. Earth – vs. 8

B. Job’s Possessions
  1. Seven sons
  2. Three daughters
  3. Seven thousand sheep
  4. Three thousand camels
  5. Five hundred yoke of oxen
  6. Five hundred she asses
  7. A great household

C. Job’s Problems
Satan attacked Job in every area of life:
  1. Crops – vs. 15
  2. Caretakers – vs. 15
  3. Commerce – vs. 17
  4. Children – vs. 18
  5. Comforts – 2:7
  6. Comforter – 2:9
  7. Companions -

D. Job’s Patience
  1. His Analysis – Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return
  2. His Attitude – the Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away
  3. His Adoration – Blessed be the name of the Lord

Fact #1 – Job was a very good man.
Fact #2 – Job experienced some very bad things
Fact #3 – God allowed it to happen. – 1:12; 2:5

The question is: Why??  Let’s see what the Bible says.
Some reasons why bad things happen to good people are to…

1. Test our loyalty
  • Job 1:9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?  Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.  But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

2. Test our faith
  • Job 2:9 Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

3. Turn our eyes unto the Lord
  • Job 5:8 I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause:

4. Take us another level of growth
  • Job 40:6, 7 Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

5. Teach us total dependence upon God
  • Job 40:8-14 Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?  Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?  Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty.  Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him.  Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret. Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

6. Take away pride
  • Job 42:1-6 Then Job answered the LORD, and said, I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.  Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.  I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

7. Teach others of God’s goodness

  • Job 42:7, 8 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.  He had also seven sons and three daughters.  And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Kerenhappuch.  And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren. After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons’ sons, even four generations.  So Job died, being old and full of days.